Protein powders, or better known as protein shakes, are an essential supplement, regardless of goal or gender. Protein is a key component of any diet and shakes are a great way to ensure you are receiving adequate amounts daily.
What can I use Protein Shakes For?
- Meal Replacement– Planning the perfect meal 3 times-a-day 7 days-a-week can be very difficult. A protein shake can be a great source of meal replacement for those with a busy schedule or someone looking to watch their calorie intake throughout the day.
- Recovery– One of the most common uses for protein shakes is to take after a workout. The body has just gone through the process of breaking down the muscle during the workout and a shake after helps replenish the muscles. The post workout shakes help the muscle recovery properly, prevent injury, and allow you to train more frequently.
- Injuries– If you are someone who recently experienced an injury, your protein intake should increase to help the healing process. Shakes are a great way to boost protein intake.
- Muscle Building– Someone looking to build muscle will need to consume more protein than they normally consume. The body will require an increase for your muscles to change. The more intense your workout, the more protein your body will require for growth, recovery, and injury prevention.
- Weight Loss– Protein shakes have many great advantages for a person looking to lose weight or cut fat. It can be used as a meal replacement while maintaining a tough diet. It also helps build and maintain the muscle needed to lose fat. This is a key part of the weight loss process. Muscle will help you burn fat, so it is imperative to consume protein in your diet to help the weight loss process.
Which Protein is best for me?
- Whey-The most commonly used protein. It is considered a complete protein because it contains the 9 essential amino acids necessary for the human diet. It is also low in lactose and can be used for weight loss, muscle building, and general maintenance.
- Isolate–Contains under 1% lactose or milk. Great for those who have issues with dairy. It can be used for weight loss, muscle building, and general maintenance.
- Vegan Plant Based–All natural, soy free, gluten free, dairy/lactose free protein powders. It can be used for weight loss, muscle building, and general maintenance.
When do I take my Protein Shakes?
- Weight Loss- Can be taken at any point throughout the day as a meal replacement or after your workout. Take with water or milk. Add fruit for extra flavor.
- Muscle/Maintenance Building- The most common way to take is after a workout to replenish your body of calorie depletion. The more intense your workout regimen, the more protein you will need to consume through dieting or shakes.